Know thyself, push thyself, love thyself.
While I generally welcome problem-solving, 2014 had enough problems to make me very tired, very fast. I would like to take the wisdom and strength I gained into 2015, where I feel I have a renewed spirit and generally positive outlook.
I recently set some goals that will not only make me a better horn player & teacher, but a healthier all-around person:
- Be persistent in finding daily inner motivation
- Have determination to practice even when I don't want to (always been a struggle...)
- Re-evaluate actions v. priorities
- Hone in on weaknesses - both on & off of the horn
- Find good things about myself in an effort to create & maintain better self esteem/self belief
- Get stronger
- Increase physical flexibility
- Keep ergonomics in mind
- Quicker reflexes (be able to change physical & mental direction faster)
- Learn more physical & mental control
- Increase musical knowledge
- Obtain better understanding of basic physics/mechanics
- More ear training ("ear meditation"; aural awareness)
- Seek help, collaboration, & opinions from colleagues more often
- Consistency of effort IS A MUST
- Know when to get emotional, when not to, when to change emotional focus, & when to leave the emotional state of myself or my students alone
- Long-term focus v. short-term focus at the forefront more
- Know thyself, push thyself, love thyself.